Crews will be replacing curb ramps at intersections such as this one at Belleview and Windermere in Littleton. The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and contractor, Noraa Concrete Construction Corporation, will begin a right of way improvement project on August 5. The project entails upgrading 118 curb ramps at multiple locations across Region 1 to meet new Americans with Disabilities (ADA) compliance guidelines. Work will be performed with minimal impact to motorized and nonmotorized traffic.
This project is part of CDOT’s four-year statewide $85 million initiative to upgrade curb ramps to meet new ADA compliance guidelines. The replacement or upgrade of curb ramps at key intersections constitutes major infrastructure improvements across the region, and will increase the safety, accessibility, and accommodation of residents, patrons of businesses, and visitors. Full access to private driveways and businesses is being maintained during the period of construction.
The upgraded ramps will be wider, sloped for easier access by the public, and finished with a slip-resistant texture for additional safety in all weather conditions. The materials used in their construction are fast drying which will expedite pedestrian access upon completion.
This project is scheduled to begin on August 5 with a target completion date of early November.
- Working hours are Mon. to Fri. 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- No weekend or observed holiday work is expected.
- Schedules are subject to change due to weather.
TRAVEL IMPACTSCDOT is minimizing travel impacts to vehicles and pedestrians for the duration of this project by employing the following measures:
- No lane closures before 9 a.m. and after 3 p.m. Mon. to Fri. are expected.
- Single-lane closures are anticipated from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at certain locations during construction of the curb ramps.
- Shoulder and sidewalk closures are expected at some locations only while ramps are being replaced.
- 24-hour access to private driveways and businesses is being maintained.
- Traffic control personnel will be onsite at all times during construction.
- Lane closure or weather-related notices are posted a week in advance on COTrip.org.