Athletes from around the world competed in the 5th Annual Littleton Twilight Criterium on August 5, 2017 and a handful walked away champions. Here are the results from the pro/elite races:
Senior Men’s Professional 1 and 2:
1st: George Simpson
2nd: Gage Hecht
3rd: Zack Allison
Senior Women’s Professional 1 and 2:
1st: Skylar Schneider
2nd: Stephanie Roorda
3rd: Samantha Schneider
• An estimated 6,000 spectators attended.
• There were more than 300 racers on the 1.3 km course.
• More than 100 volunteers helped make the race a success, including jobs such as course marshals, setup and teardown, registration, transportation, and awards.
• The race drew crowds from across Colorado and beyond. Twenty-one different states were represented by the riders, as well as competitors from 10 countries.
• Three bands rocked the stage all night, including the rock band Blinker Fluid, a Police Tribute Band – Message in a Bottle, and the high-energy cover band Home Slice.
• SCL Health Community Hospitals sponsored the kids zone, which included a rock-climbing wall, cycling education, and face painting.
• Nearly 100 cyclists of all ages participated in the non-timed cruiser ride, led by the Primrose School of Littleton.
• $16,000 in prize money was given out to race winners.
• Breckenridge Brewery served 12 kegs of its craft beer under the lights of a beer garden on Prince Street. Proceeds from drink sales reached more than $8,000 and benefited the Humane Society of South Platte Valley, Littleton Public Schools Foundation, South Metro Housing Options, and South Suburban Parks Foundation.
• $1 from each racer registration was donated to Doctors Care, which provides access to quality, affordable health care and services designed to reduce barriers to health for low-income people in need.